Re: Rejecting viruses the Right Way[tm]

on Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 04:26:43PM -0800, Paul Johnson (baloo@ursine.ca) wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 02:47:47PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > > Not if postmasters do their job the right way instead of blacklisting
> > > millions of innocents.  That's why spam fighters have somewhat of a
> > > bad reputation:  Too many people claiming the title have absolutely
> > > zero clue about what they're doing, and unfortunately, these same
> > > people have root on some major mail servers.  If this describes you,
> > > please wear a hat made of aluminum foil so we know you are.
> >
> > Here's my stats for spam by ASN.
> >

> Eh?

;-)

Working on it.  Mostly polished for initial release:

    http://twiki.iwethey.org/Main/SpamByASN

> > > Show me another provider that can provide 5Mbps for $45/mo, unlimited
> > > usage and I will.
> >
> > Sounds like you need to add usable SMTP traffic to your search
> > criterion.  Tell me what market pricing you find then.
> >
> > Standalone mail services can be had for as little as $10/yr. from what
> > I've seen on NANAE posts.  I belive you're confounding the issue with
> > one-stop shopping.  Not necessary.
>
> I run my own mail server because it's exceptionally rare to find a
> competent postmaster and I refuse to pay for incompetence.

For the second time:  I'm not saying you have to move *all* your
services to another provider, address, or pipe.  Given current spam
filtering realities, you probably *will* have to find someone -- a major
ISP, a friend, a small botique mail services provider, foo -- to provide
outbound mail services.

Otherwise, I refer you to King Canute.

> I'm also not willing to pay more than $9/mo/Mbps

As I said:  $9/yr for basic SMTP services.  That's less than a dollar a
month.  If both control _and_ interconnectivity matter to you, I'd
recommend research.

Peace.

  I was never no good after that night, Charlie.
  - M. Brando