Mounting NFS from an initrd

Greetings,

I'm trying to make an initrd script which allows mounting root NFS with
a stock Debian kernel-image package, in the spirit of Russel Coker's
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2001/debian-devel-200109/msg00307.html

So I stuck a script in /etc/mkinitrd/scripts/nfs , and when I installed
a kernel on woody, the client mounted root just fine.

Now with sarge, it's failing with:

mount: RPC: Program not registered

So I searched around, and found that I need to be running portmap.  So I
put portmap in the initrd, along with rpc.statd for good measure.  And
even with /proc mounted, with portmap and rpc.statd running, mount still
gives me this error.

What gives?  Any ideas on how to get it "registered"?

Thanks,
--
-Adam P.

http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/The_Best_Stuff_In_The_World_Today_Cafe.ogg