Re: default destination in exim?

On 2004-02-17, Paul Johnson penned:

> On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 10:37:36AM -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
>> Is it possible to configure the /etc/aliases file such that any alias
>> that is not explicitly correlated to a local user is sent to some
>> user by default?  If so, how, or where is it documented?
>
> Not easily, and this is a Good Thing(tm).
>
>> In other words, if someone emails a non-existent user on the system,
>> I want that mail to go to a specific place every time.
>
> Trust me when I say this:  You don't.  You will only see an increase
> in spam and virus reception if you do this.  Why?  Well, both spammers
> and the worms coming from members of the Bug of the Week Club will
> tend to just guess email addresses or try sending to message-IDs it
> finds in mailing list and news archives.  So all that junk for
> nonexistent users will get through.  Judging by my mail server logs,
> these run between 2:1 to 3:1 on the junk:mail ratio.

Trust me when I say this: I do.

Believe me, I'm well aware of all of these points.  But after using a
provider's email system in precisely this way for a few years, I have a
plethora of undocumented usernames floating around, and I don't want to
lose email just because I can't remember them.

Should I have been documenting the various usernames I've published?
Yes.  But no use crying over spilled milk.

In any case, I didn't ask if this was a good idea =P  I asked if it
could be done, as it clearly could be on my provider's end.

--
monique