dhcp on LAN

A neighbour allows me use of his adsl line (we are physically
networked together to share files etc).

I've recently put another IDE hard-drive in this box (using
a caddy so my disks are interchangeable) and installed a
minimal Woody in each of two separate partitions.
The first installation I upgraded to a 'full blown'
Woody having elected to install by 'http' and used the adsl
line without difficulty. The second installation I upgraded
to Sarge again without difficulty and using the adsl line.
The kernels used were precompiled ones (2.2.20 on one and
2.4.18-bf2.4 on the other.

Now, I have compiled 2.4.24 kernels on both (I'm looking at
2.6.2 for Sarge in due course!), but I cannot use the adsl
for 'apt-get' on either when I boot into 2.4.24. The dhcp
server is running on the neighbour's box whenever it is 'up'.

'route -vnee' and 'ifconfig' show the dhcp server has not
allocated an IP addess etc.

I can see no obvious differences in the kernel .config files
(other than ones I understand and which are mainly the reason
I compiled new kernels.

I have a dialup modem attached to a separate firewall which
I can use if and when necessary, and configuration of these
gives me no problem.

What do I need to do so that I can use the adsl line with
newly compiled kernels?

Grateful for any assistance.            Regards,        John.