Re: Using Debian X windows

Ron wrote:

I have installed debian Linux, and I want to use it in the X windows mode, how do I start the X capabilities of debian. I have been reading the tutorial and I still can’t run debian Linux like I have run Red Hat Linux, which to me is very friendly, I thought that debian Linux would be as friendly, what is my problem.

The first problem is that you thought Debian would be as friendly as Redhat during installation/setup. (It's more friendly during maintenance, but not generally during setup.)

The second problem is that you've confused a working Debian install with a working Debian install with a fancy GUI on top. Unlike in the recent Windows world where a GUI is required, a GUI is optional in the GNU/Linux world, and therefore isn't considered to be necessary to a Debian install, and the installation documents probably don't address getting X up and running.

You tell us nothing about how you installed it (network? CD from where?) or what your hardware is (P5-120? Athlon XP2600? Macintosh? 64MiB RAM? 2GB drive? ATI All-in-Wonder? nVidia?) or what you installed (just the base? did you run dselect?), so we're left guessing a lot.

I'm assuming you don't have all the X stuff installed. Try:

apt-get update
apt-get install x-window-system

Then try running "startx". (Or just try this to begin with; it may be that X is installed; you just need to start it.)

--
Kent