Re: Fw: Exim4 Sender Address Rewriting

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alexander Verbovetsky" <verbovet@mccme.ru>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 12:52 AM
Subject: Re: Fw: Exim4 Sender Address Rewriting

> I did the following:
>
> 1. Created normal /etc/email-addresses
>
> 2. Commented out the relevant part of rewrite/31_exim4-config_rewriting :
>
> #    # This rewriting rule is particularily useful for dialup users who
> #    # don't have their own domain, but could be useful for anyone.
> #    # It looks up the real address of all local users in a file
> #    *@+local_domains
${lookup{${local_part}}lsearch{/etc/email-addresses}\
> #                      {$value}fail} Ffrs
>
> 3. Put the following to transport/30_exim4-config_remote_smtp :
> ------------------
> # This transport is used for delivering messages over SMTP connections.
> remote_smtp:
>   debug_print = "T: remote_smtp for $local_part@$domain"
>   driver = smtp
> headers_rewrite = *@+local_domains \
>     ${lookup{${local_part}}lsearch{/etc/email-addresses}{$value}fail}
> return_path = ${if match{$return_path}{\N^([^@]+)@renard$\N}\
>         {${lookup{$1}lsearch{/etc/email-addresses}{$value}fail}}fail}
> ------------------
>
> Rationale:
> http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.30/doc/html/FAQ_8.html#TOC260
> (Answer 0803)
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Cheers,
> Alex

Hi Alex,

Yes that helped!

I can now send mail from my local account and have it rewritten to the
correct ISP suffix.

However, if I send from a local account to another local account it is
delivered internally, but the sender address is still rewritten instead of
being left alone.

I have seen the FAQ you referred to and tried that, but wasn't quite sure
exactly what to do with it, so obviously I was doing something wrong.

>From what I've found, what I need to do is also have a separate internal
smtp transport that skips the rewriting process, but I don't know how to do
this.

Any further ideas?

Thanks for your help though, at least I can send mail correctly now!

Pete