Re: kernel upgrade and LVM

> On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 23:19:18 +0000, wattoo wrote:
>
>> I used lvmcreate_initrd to build an initrd with LVM support.
>
> 	I never got this to work.  I just compiled my own kernel with
> built-in LVM (not a module).
>
> 	And RAID too.
>

> --
> Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra           +55 (11) 5685 2219

I think it has something to do with the fact that the initrd
of Debian kernels use cramfs so the kernel probably expects the
initrd of lvm to be using cramfs and since it's not, it fails to
read what's inside the initrd.

I'm not sure how you can instruct a kernel to not expect a cramfs
initrd.
When you use the Debian tools to make an initrd, it's possible to make
an initrd without cramfs. One can use the following in the
mkinitrd.conf file:

     MKIMAGE="genromfs -d %s -f %s"

Benedict