Real Time Clock won't boot

     When I compile the Real Time Clock into my kernel I cannot complete
     the boot process and login.  This is true in single user mode.
     Strangly, most of the boot process completes.  The hang appears to
     be in the
     /etc/rcS.d scripts.  The last message to the screen is "WARNING: no
     network interfaces found" which is what I get when mounting samba
     shares I am mounting at boot.  I can't believe the RTC would
     break Samba, and I get that message with every successful boot as
     well.

     What can I try next?  Where should I look to fix this?

     Kernel 2.4.24
     Debian Sarge