Quasi-(un)deletion question

The other day, I did something really stupid. I started a download with
BitTorrent, and, half-way through, deleted the file it was downloading.

The file still existed because the torrent client had it open. I could use
'lsof' to get an inode number -- but I needed some way to get access to
that node without having an entry in the file tree.

I looked in a bunch of obvious places -- /proc/nnn/fd, man pages and
source for mknod, ln, and libc's link(). But it seems that all the work
relating to actual inodes is done in kernel space -- where I have no
experience.

Is it possible to access the file using a utility or small C program?
Would you have to write code for the kernel?

- Tim