Re: linphone in debian

On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 08:42:13AM -0500, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:

> Has anyone used linphone in this list that would care to share
> h(i,e)(s,r) experiences?
> It doesn't seem that it is packaged for debian by any official
> mantainer, is it?

My experience of linphone is limited to registering with FWD (Free World
Dialup) and it can be persuaded to do this.  It should be possible to
use it with other SIP enabled VOIP providers but I've seen little
discussion on mailing lists and web pages relating to how smoothly or
easily this proceeds in individual cases.

Using linphone with an ALSA driver is recommended and it either won't
work or not work well with OSS.  Apart from that the sound quality was
fine.

Linphone has the advantage of functioning on the console and in X.  My
interest was in getting the console version of linphone working and a
little more focus on this in the documentation would have been helpful.

Brian.