Re: Apt-get Error: Package needs to be reinstalled

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 08:51:44AM -0500, Jeff Self said
> I tried building a kernel 2.6.0 last week using make-kpkg. When I run
> dpkg -i kernel-image-2.6.0_10.00.Custom_i386.deb I get the following
> message:
> dpkg: serious warning: files list file for package `kernel-image-2.6.0'
> missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.
> 121265 files and directories currently installed.)
> Preparing to replace kernel-image-2.6.0 10.00.Custom (using
> kernel-image-2.6.0_10.00.Custom_i386.deb) ...
> Unpacking replacement kernel-image-2.6.0 ...
> Segmentation fault

That's Highly Bad.  Does "dmesg" show a kernel oops at about this time?
Does "debsums" show that dpkg has not been corrupted?  Does installing
that .deb on another machine work (just installing, no need to run it).

> Ever since then, I can't run apt-get upgrade. I get the following
> message:
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> E: The package kernel-image-2.6.0 needs to be reinstalled, but I can't
> find an archive for it.

Sure, because apt doesn't know about random files on your disk, only
actual apt repositories.

> I have tried everything. The kernel-image doesn't even show up in
> /var/lib/dpkg/info.

Yeah, that's what dpkg was complaining about.

> I have tried reinstalling

Reinstalling the .deb or your entire system?

> , rebuilding the kernel.
> Nothing seems to help. Is there any way to erase the kernel-image from
> dpkg's "memory"?

Can you remove it?  "dpkg -r kernel-image-2.6.0".

> What file can I edit to do this? I thought that
> /var/lib/dpkg/info was the key, but apparently its not.

/var/lib/dpkg/info holds things like the maintainer scripts (that run
before/after install/removal), and the file list (which is missing).
/var/lib/dpkg/status holds the data about which packages are actually
installed.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:         event security Rumsfield rs9512c ARPA passwd Pine Gap