Re: Sound help?

Joel Konkle-Parker wrote:
My mind is somewhat boggled when it comes to getting sound support working on my machine. I have a Dell laptop with Woody using a self-compiled 2.4.24 kernel. I have i810_audio.o and sound.o explicitly loaded, with all their respective dependencies.

Sorry to reply to my own message...

esd loads automatically with Gnome. Using XMMS' eSound plugin, everything works great. After I kill esd, XMMS' OSS plugin works great as well.

But there's two problems that I'm trying to figure out:

1. Gnome's mixer applet doesn't work. Sure, it loads fine, and displays a volume slider, but changing it has no effect whatsoever. The mute button doesn't work either. This is with and without esd running.

Ignore this. Gnome's mixer applet controls the volume of the console beeps through the sound card just fine. I guess XMMS doesn't pay attention to the system mixer setting.

2. Sound in Enemy Territory doesn't work. The console messages when the game loads say "sound system is muted", even though the mixer applet is not muted, and XMMS works fine. The game complains about /dev/dsp when I have esd running, so I kill esd before I run the game.

This complaint is still good. Anybody know why it says "sound system is muted"?

Any advice, please?

--
Joel Konkle-Parker
Webmaster  [Ballsome.com]