Software modem

I was wondering if there was a way to use a sound card as a modem under
gnu/linux (with a dongle or something connecting the phone line to the line
in/out)? I know this use to be done but I haven't heard of anyone presently
doing this. I am thinking that this would be handy with an older model
laptop I have, i could hook a speaker and a mic to any phone and connect to
my home computer.
--
Usenet an online role playing game
   that gives lives to those who don't have them.