ssh X11 forwarding

I can't get X11 forwarding to work and I'm not sure where sto start in
fixing things:

at the moment when the DISPLAY variable is not set when I ssh -X

ie.

$local > echo $DISPLAY
:0.0
$local > ssh -X remote
$remote > echo $DISPLAY

$remote >

The local machine is running sarge
The remote machine is a new install of woody

I have

X11Forwarding yes
X11DisplayOffset 10

in the remote machine sshd_config file.

BUT

The remote machine is headless and does not have an X server
installed. Does this matter?

what are the minimum things I need installed. At the moment the
only X packages installed on the remote machine are:

xaw3dg
xfonts-75dpi
xfree86-common
xutils
xboard

Using putty on another windows machine gives the same problem.

Any ideas on what is wrong?

--
David Purton
dcpurton@chariot.net.au

For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to
strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.
                                 2 Chronicles 16:9a