Re: Partitioning Scheme for New 120GB Hard Drive -- Comments?

On Friday 13 February 2004 02:49 pm, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> You've also left off a recovery partition.  I keep a 256 MiB - 512
> MiB partition on which a relatively minimal installation is kept.

I would go farther than that.

My preferred setup is to have enough space to completely install twice.
That way if I decide to reinstall or make a major upgrade, the other
one is there for recovery.

Here's mine ....

/	  250 mb
/usr	  5 gig
/tmp	  250 mb
/var	  1 gig (cache fills up occasionally)
/home
/alt	  250 mb
/alt/usr  5 gig
/alt/var  1 gig
/alt/home

The /alt stuff has helped many times.

It was a way that I could try Debian without losing my old Mandrake
system.

It was a way that I could switch to unstable, while keeping stable in
case of trouble.

It was a way to keep a working system when the switch to gcc 3 and kde 3
left unstable very broken a few times.

I used it as a recovery partition, when bad memory trashed the one I was
using.