Re: Partitioning Scheme for New 120GB Hard Drive -- Comments?

On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 03:23:42PM +0000, M.Kirchhoff wrote:
> Here's my proposed scheme, based on Karsten's guide--out-of-date, but useful
> nonetheless: http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/partition.html
>
> 20GB  => WinXP (unless by some stroke of fortuity Half-Life2 is ported to Linux)
> 150MB => /
> 100MB => /boot
> 1GB   => /tmp
> 1GB   => swap
> 1GB   => /var
> 20GB  => /usr
> 5GB   => /usr/local
> ~70GB => /home

In addition to what others have said, I would probably make /usr
smaller, so about 8GB, and leave the remaining  12 as a spare partition,
perhaps even naming it /spare. Comes in handy if you need to move
partitions around later, or want to chroot a new system there, or etc.

--
Kent