Re: MAILBOX: From Evolution to Thunderbird

on Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 01:40:44AM -0500, Abdul Latip (dullatip@angin.com) wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> I would like to move from Evolution to Thunderbird.
> Unfortunately, I have got a huge mailbox (> 100MB) with cascaded
> sub-folders. Before I re-envent the wheel;  I am wondering; if
> there exists a script or utility that converts Evolution mailbox
> format to Thunderbird format.

Likely they're mutually compatible.

Most 'Nix MUAs use one or more of mbox, Maildir, or mdir mailbox
formats.

   - mbox is a single file.  man 5 mbox.

   - Maildir is a directory with three subdirectories, "new", "cur", and
     "tmp".

   - mdir is a single directory.

Check docs for both Evo and Thunderbird.

You may want to copy your Evo folders to a new location before testing.
Some mailers create metadata (usually index files) and while I wouldn't
expect anything to break, you might waste time recreating these.

Peace.