Re: eth0/eth1 which one?

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 13:02:42 -0800
Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 10:40:11AM -0800, Lars Jensen wrote:
> > I have two network cards on my machine How do I tell which one is eth0
> > and which one is eth1 ?
>
> If you have DHCP on your segment, then you can plug one in and see
> which iface gets the IP...

I assume that you have identical network cards (if you don't then just use
aliases in modules.conf to set them the way you want).

Otherwise the card with the lower PCI bus address will be eth0. Usually
the addresses go from top to bottom or bottom to top on the M/board, so if
there are other cards in the board you can check by running lspci and
comparing the addresses listed with the order of the cards on the back of
the box. For example on the box I have with 2 ethernet cards lspci gives:
00:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: Trident Microsystems 4DWave NX (rev
02)
00:0d.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8029(AS)
00:0f.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8029(AS)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: 3Dfx Interactive, Inc. Voodoo 3 (rev
01)

Now I know that the sound card is below the ethernet cards, therefore eth0
is the physically lower card.

James

--
James Tappin,             O__      "I forget the punishment for using
james@tappin.me.uk       --  \/`    Microsoft --- Something lingering