Re: Convert Red Hat 7.2 to Debian 3.0

Monique Y. Herman wrote:

On 2004-02-11, System Administrator penned:
I am about to cobvert a system from Red Hat to Debian.  Idealy I would
do a fresh install from scratch, but am trying to avoid this.  While
at the Linux Expo in NYC last month, the Debian Booth people
reccomended a program that I think they reffered to as "Debian Hijack"
or something similar, to convert the directory structure, etc... prior
to performing a Debian 3.0 upgrade.  Does anyone know what program
they are reffering to and it's source?  Any input would be much
appreciated. Thanks!

I remember what you're talking about, don't recall the name ...

But I'd strongly suggest biting the bullet and installing debian from
scratch, anyway.  In the long run, it will make maintenance *much*
easier.

(If it helps, I backed up the data, /etc directory, etc from a RedHat
install several years ago and was able to migrate all the settings to
Debian pretty easily.  Got it up and running in a day.  So I really
don't see much need to convert the installation, with all of the file
location and version issues that this will cause, not to mention the
lack of dependency tracking.)

You can add more information to http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?LinuxMigrationToDebian

Thanks.