Re: Differences in RH Fedora coming from Debian

on Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 11:43:20PM -0500, Bijan Soleymani (bijan@psq.com) wrote:
> > Actually, there is also a reason to teach 'vi' in classes like that.  We
> > all have our own personal preferences when it comes to editors, but the
> > reality still is that quite often when a system is half broken in single
> > user mode and one needs to edit this or that file to bring it back to life
> > 'vi' is the only editor available.  Believe me, I've been doing technical
> > support for quite a while and had to walk a few sysadmins through the
> > painful process of editing in file using 'vi' when they had absolutely no
> > knowledge of the tool.
>
> That really doesn't make sense. I mean if you use emacs, nano, etc, they
> should all also be available in single user mode.

Depends on your partitioning scheme, and how/why you're in single user
mode.

If you keep /usr as a separate partition from /, then you may find your
$BLOATED_PREFERRED_EDITOR isn't available.  In this case, familiarity
with a traditional 'Nix editor such as vi may be a very valuable skill.

Peace.

    "Yes," said Marvin. "Wearily I sit here, pain and misery my only
    companions. And vast intelligence of course. And infinite sorrow.
    And..."
    -- HHGTG