Compiling Support for Intel Pro/100 VE Network Adapter

Been away for a while at SAN School . . .

Via a new employer, I got a spiffy new Dell Latitude D500 with WinBlows XP
on it.  Need to get it fully Debianized before I go stir craze.

The built-in 10/100 Ethernet NIC is driving me nuts.  It's an Intel Pro/100
VE Network Adapter, according to the XP Device Manager.

I found a really nice guide on the Net to getting the bells and whistles in
the Dell Latitude D500 working at
http://www.physik.uni-freiburg.de/~roland/dell_d500/

Roland indicates compiling the e100 module.  This is giving me fits.

I installed woody from CD (I only have the first CD in the set)
I downloaded a 2.4.18 kitchen sink kernel, the kernel-source to 2.4.18,
kernel-package, etc using the WinBlows boot, and installed them in my woody.
I downloaded the e100 module

but I can't seem to get it to work.  the CONFIG_E100=m line in the .config
always seems to get stomped on.  The kernel and module compile fine, I
install them, they boot and work fine, but in /boot/config-2.4.18-custom4.0
there is no CONFIG_E100=m line, eventhough I added it to the .config file in
/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18 that I copied (the original
/boot/config-2.4.18-686 that was installed by the kitchen-sink kernel).
When I edited .config before make menuconfig, the CONFIG_E100=m line got
blown away.  So I added it after the make menuconfig . . . but in the final
config that was installed in /boot, it still isn't there.  So, at any rate,
I run modconf, the E100 shows up in the list, but when I pick it, I get
installation failed.

Feeling stupid and clueless . . . .

TIA

madmac