Re: How to install Debian with Promise FastTrak 376 chip onboard?

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 03:21:25PM +0100, Danny wrote:
> I have difficulties to install Debian 3 on my MSI K7N2G motherboard with
> Promise FastTrak 376 chip onboard. Standard Install and also 2.4 Kernel
> (BF24) doesn't recognize the harddisk controller.
>
> Unfortunately Promise supports only Suse and RedHat.
>
> Any hints / tips tricks are greatly appreciated.

I was stumped by this for the longest time but it's cake.
http://ttul.org/~rrsadler/linux-promise/
Search lists.d.o for promise

I put my 2.4.24 .config file that will fit on a boot floppy here:
http://home.comcast.net/~40208.nospam/config.bf24-24.gz

Here are some random tidbits, follow the web page:

- download bf24 root and rescue floppy
- create 2.4.24 kernel with .config above: make dep bzImage
- mount rescue floppy, replace linux.bin with arch/i386/bzImage
  (rename to linux.bin)
- boot from rescue floppy, continue with root floppy
[you'll have to select the steps manually during setup]
- execute shell, mkdir /cdrom, mount cdrom on /cdrom
- configure hostname and network: i had to use static ip for some reason
- install kernel from mounted, /cdrom
- install base system from mounted, /cdrom
- kernel 2.2.20 will be installed, so system won't start on reboot, so
- following the install reboot, boot off rescue floppy, and boot
  "rescue /dev/[rootpart]"
- mount rescue floppy
- copy /floppy/linux.bin /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.24-rescue
- rm /vmlinuz, ln -s /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.24-rescue /vmlinuz
- run lilo -- now you can boot off the HD
- install a "real" kernel, now you can boot off Linux and LinuxOld

enjoy !

the process is a lot like having to hit F6 during Windows Setup with
the promise disk, except Linux is Nicer!