Re: EXTRAVERSION problem with nvidia kernel module

On Sun, 2004-02-08 at 02:43, Olle Eriksson wrote:
> I am using Sid and I just compiled and installed the 2.6.0 kernel from
> the source package. I am using the Debian way and added
> --append_to_version -040207 to the call to make-kpkg. The problem is
> when I am trying to install the nvidia binary kernel module (ver 5336).
> I compiled modules_image while running the 2.6 kernel and used
> --append-to-versionn -040207 here too. Everything is fine except I am
> unable to load the module (module-init-tools is installed BTW).
> /var/log/syslog gives me this:
>
> modprobe: FATAL: Error inserting nvidia
> (/lib/modules/2.6.0-040207/nvidia/nvidia.ko): Invalid module format
> kernel: nvidia: version magic '2.6.0 PENTIUMIII gcc-3.3' should be
> '2.6.0-040207 PENTIUMIII gcc-3.3'
>
> modprobe -f nvidia works, but I don't want to do that every time. Is
> there any solution to the problem with EXTRAVERSION or can I force
> nvidia to be loaded automatically somehow?

Just in case anyone else reads the archives, here is what I did.

I created a file /etc/modules-2.6.0-040207 ("modules-" + EXTRAVERSION)
and added a line with "nvidia -f". This file is automatically called
when starting linux with the kernel with the same name.

Works for now...

Olle