Info vs Man

At the risk of starting holy war, why has the GNU project decided to go with info pages instead of man pages?

I googled several times with different search terms, but didn't find much; this was probably the best hit I found: http://users.netwit.net.au/~pursang/dtil/howto_9.html
and it doesn't really address the issues.

Some of the other hits seemed to imply that man pages were better, although there was no definitive explanation as to why (or why not).

Anyone have any insight on this question?

If I were to write up some documentation for some application, would I want to create it as a man page, or an info page, or as both, or as some higher(/lower)-level format that then gets converted (by me/by viewer tools?), what?

(The Linux.com article at http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=04/02/05/1651203 is what started my mind down this path.)

Thanks!

--
Kent