Re: whew

On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 03:51, ~Honorable Dr Lou Who wrote:
> What a mess!

Yes indeed, you have one.
> Ok, obviously, if I'm viewing this from Windows and want to install
> online to another hard drive and download the updates or what I need
> for it to install.

You are not installing WINDOWS Software. You have to use you head here.

> I go to your start page, go to downloads, and find? Fdisk or install?
> No, NO SUCH BASIC ITEM, because it is MISSING!!!!

The OS boots from the CD image you were supposed to D/L and burn as an
image to a CD.

> So I find, "Getting Debain" click onto. Gee's 1/2 way down the page
> crammed with junk text, with a link to "Making a CD" ? Gee's!?!!

This is a distributed effort. Get with the Times Dear sir.
> The again, HIDDEN somewhere in TEXT "Fetch full CD images" ????????
> How about grab a bone for your BURNER? Dang!

Psychobabble
> Who made this, very professional? Think MS has no problem in
> competition. So ON FETCH! Page http://www.debian.org/distrib/cd

You have to step out of your dinky little world to understand you are
install an OS, not some Proggy for Windoze.
> Clicks to http://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/

If you don't understand internet technology. Well, I cannot help you.
> Which gives me a Gig ilo and other download separate software, I WILL
> NOT INSTALL! To find....????

No, you are definitely mis-understand quite a few things.

> Again 1/2 way down the page....
> look at the detailed information about the installation process.

You can't understand HIGHER levels of summary, details will just
completely confuse you.
> Which I see NO COMPAQ PRESARIO'S, all that other mumble jumble, is
> just that, WHERE IS MY PC???? Guess, you have NONE for HOME PC's....

Compaq Presario is covered by the Intel x86 architecture. This would be
your Compaq 850 Intel chip machine.

> So I guess I'll scroll down ( Geee'ss the page goes on for miles)  to
> find ONE USA link in http, WOW! 50,000 mirror links and sites, and
> downloads, ??? How many versions and downloads to you have> ??? 50,000
> links, that would take me 40 years! But let me guess!

So, I guess you like Microsoft being extremely slow past few week. Would
it not be great if you could get the stuff from someplace not being
over-whelmed?

This is the idea behind Debian, distributed.

> Oregon sounds good, my son goes there. I know to click http cause DO
> NOT know how to download from FTP,
> AND NEITHER DOES THE REST OF THE KNOWN CP WORLD! (Right there, you
> ELIMINATED 90% of any MS converts)

Are you using Internet Explorer? Because if your are, you do not need to
KNOW how to ftp. IE (or mozilla like I use) just displays the info for
you. Do not use Jigdo, use the full images.
> http://debian.oregonstate.edu/debian-cdimage/
>
> Obviously, after clicking the link there, it has 3 more, all with 3
> more sub links, which you claimed earlier IMAGE file, (The only way I
> could have know is you mentioned it was an IMAGE file somewhere on the
> opening page! Whew, rocket scientist again, first time windows users
> WOULD NEVER PIECE THAT!

First time users should not use Straight Debian. It is TOOO confusing,
as you are seeing. I would point you to http://www.xandros.com and have
you throw money at them to send you a very nice 4 question installation
for Linux. Heck if you buy the Deluxe Version, you can even use many of
your Windows Programs on it.
> Also my aspirations of installing on DOWNLOADING, is history! YOU
> SKIPPED THAT ENTIRE PART EXCEPT FOR THE OPENING PAGE??? Dah !!! We
> forgot??? What's the deal??? Where'd you RE-hide it???

What are you talking about? I update my 300-400 Debian GNU/Linux
machines over the internet everyday to keep current.

Again, I suggest http://www.xandros.com
> I did this ONCE BEFORE earlier today! When I BURNED a CD, it DID NOT
> WORK, my Linux friend, who got me started on this DECIPHERING LINUX
> made websites, blew me away.

Maybe, you should ask him for some clarifications as to why you are
having such a hard time realizing the concept Debian has brought forth.
> So he burned CD's off my hard drive attached to his PC, BECAUSE CD
> CREATOR 4 HAS NO ISO converter processes, BUT funny his older PC
> burner did? Amazing!

Yes it does, "record from image" is the selection you need to use. Then
change from CIF to ISO (in the little box below the selection box)
> OK, I will try a download again, then place this in my 200 Pentium PC
> and watch it say no operating system.

You do not burn the ISO on the CD as a File, you burn the ISO as an
Image.

Gee's you guys got to piece this together. I tried the CD disk boot from
CD and it ran great, installing though, what the mess.

True the Debian Woody Installer is not pretty... but per machine you
only use it once, from then on you only need to update you machine, no
installation needed after that.

> And the website? Has NO STEP BY STEP FOR FIRST TIME MS WINDOWS
> BEGINNERS!

Debian is NOT for beginners. Once I point you to http://www.xandros.com
buy the v2 Deluxe Desktop. It has lotsa cool things you will love, then
you can start discovering why we all LOVE Linux.
> I have 10 gigs of webspace left on my Linux server, and was thinking
> of providing MIRROR site for you guys, but dang, I'd be link 50,001

Mirror site... you have NO idea. I mirror on a 3 architectures of Debian
an it is 52GB of space. That is not even the Website itself just the
Repository.

Okay, goto http://www.xandros.com and buy it.

> ~Lou
>

> Thanks!