Re: reutilizing downloaded packages

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 01:49:47 +0530
Ritesh Raj Sarraf <rrs_rhlist@softhome.net> wrote:

> But i want to get rid of this. Well, plz don't suggest me to set up a
> mirror. I just am thinking to export the archives directory to my
> other machine (with ofcourse rw permissions) and run apt-get on each
> machine ONE AT A TIME. Is it okay or will it create problems ?

I'm curious about this, since I've been meaning to do something similar
for my network. In my case I have dsl, but it's metered, so I'd like to
avoid downloading the same package multiple times.

Have you tried apt-proxy? If so, what prompted you to try the exported
directory instead? My understanding of apt-proxy was that it only
downloaded the needed packages as they were requested and then kept a
cache so other computers on the same network could use them without
having to wait for them to download from the nearest mirror again.

Thanks,
Jacob

-----
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

A Linux machine! because a 486 is a terrible thing to waste!