Re: laptop HW detection Q (isa/video/cpu)

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 11:27:15AM +0100, David Baron wrote:
> I have a ATI Rage 3D "expert" 8meg card, AGP2, I believe. So far, unsucessful
> getting DRI up for it. ATI does not publish drivers for this card--relies on
> the OS authors for this, Msoft, Xfree, etc.
>
> I can well live without Quake and its ilk, but there is some stuff I would
> like to run. Where might I apt-get the CVS dri driver?

add to sources.list:
deb http://people.debian.org/~daenzer/dri-mach64-sid/ ./

Take note that AFAIK these require X version 4.3 (from experimental) I
don't think that they will work with X 4.2 (never tried though).

Also if I remember correctly these packages include the gatos xv
extension so you also get 2D movie acceleration so you can see movies
properly. The only problem with that is that 3D acceleration probably
works properly in 16bpp (at 32bpp its very slow at least on my machine,
although it a rage mobility and not a rage 3D) and movies show up
better in 32bpp otherwise usually the blacks don't look to good. Also
with images, but there is no way round that, hardware limitations.

There should be three packages
drm-mach64-module-src
xlibmesa-gl1-dri-mach64
xserver-xfree86-dri-mach64

For the 2.4 kernel you will need to also compile the mach64 drm module.

The module-src package will install the source for the kernel mach64 drm
driver in /usr/src. You will need to open it and compile for your kernel
(make-kpkg --revision <revision> --added-modules drm-mach64 modules-image
in the kernel base dir will build the driver package). There is a small
bug in it that won't let it compile, copy the attached control.m4 to
/usr/src/modules/drm-mach64/debian/ after you unpack it (the source line
is missing in the control file).

You will run into some hardships if you will need to install the
xlibmesa dev packages, email me again if you need help with those as it
takes some work since they depend on specific versions of the original
packages (this can be done with some manipulations).

If you need any more help tell me.