Re: logrotate question

On Tuesday 10 February 2004 13:45, Dr.-Ing. C. Hurschler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running Debian Testing, and have noticed that my syslog,
> kern.log, and debug.log files are too large (over 100Mb).

Yeah, I've also run into trouble like this.

I tried to avoid some problems by adding
# Rotate logs larger than 2M
size 2M

to my logrotate.conf

> I looked
> in logrotate.conf and logrotate.d, but didn't find anything that
> would rotate these files.  Aren't these files rotated in a "standard"
> installation?  I also noticed that the logrotate entry in cron.daily
> only points at logrotate.conf, but what about the logrotate.d
> entries, how do they get loaded?

Somebody else answered that question, but I have noted that even though
my configuration tells logs to be rotated at certain intervals and/or
sizes, apparently they aren't rotated on my workstation and laptop. Up
to now, I haven't understood why, but your post made me do some
googling. My home workstation is off at night, so cronjobs are not run.
At least that's a feeling I've had for some time, but not known how to
deal with. Sounds familiar?

So, five minutes ago, I discovered anacron. I installed it, and there is
something going on my system now... Perhaps it is actually performing
the housekeeping long neglected by usually having the system off at
night...? In that case, apt-get install anacron may be what you're
looking for?

Also, BTW, a few days ago, I suggested that it would be interesting to
have a way for logrotate to know how much disk space it can be allowed
to use in total, to avoid it filling up an entire partition. More
people interested in this?

Cheers,

Kjetil
--