Re: Why does /etc/cron.daily/sysklogd depend on /usr/share/doc/sysklogd?

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 11:35:33AM +0000, David Goodenough wrote:
> Why do the cron.daily/weekly sysklogd script exit doing nothing if the
> /usr/share/doc/sysklogd directory not exist?  It rightly checks that
> the binaries it needs are there, but the doc directory is purely
> documentation.

That's a bug. Debian policy says that packages may not require
/usr/share/doc to exist.

I see bug #222758 was filed about this, but closed (incorrectly, in my
opinion). I'll follow up to it.

> I hit this on a stripped down emebedded installation which I
> noticed was not rotating log files correctly.  I had removed
> almost all of /usr/share/doc to save space.  Are there other
> packages which rely on these doc directories existing?

There shouldn't be. If there are, they're bugs too.

Cheers,