Re: keep x session open

techlists wrote:

I am running Sid with KDE, and was wondering if I am logged in and have
some programs running, is there a way for someone else to log into x on
the same terminal, without shutting down the programs I have running?
that way when they are finished, I can re-log in and continue where I
left with the programs that I originally had still open and running.

stan

Sort of (which works very well in my opinion).

Lock your screen using one of the lockable screen savers.

Then press Ctrl-Alt-F2 to switch to virtual terminal #2. From there, have the second user log in. After the user has logged in, have him enter "startx -- :1". This will start a second instance of X on (probably) terminal 8 (whereas your is (probably) on terminal 7). You can then hotswitch between the two sessions with Ctrl-Alt-F7 and Ctrl-Alt-F8.

If you want, you can add a third X session, or a fourth, or a fifth, or . . . .

If you're using a graphical login screen, like kdm or gdm, you can configure it to present a graphical login for multiple sesions instead of using the text-based login.

You can even do some "magic", and hook up a second monitor and keyboard/mouse to the same CPU and run two people off the same box at the same time.

--
Kent