Re: US Robotics Modem drivers ?

On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 01:02, Marc Hultquist wrote:
> Hey All
>
> I just got hold of a us robotics 56k message modem and am busy trying to
> install it under linux however, I hit
> a huge snag, I cant find a driver for it, and I dont have a origional cd
> from it :\ I tried probing for it but as of yet I have
> not been able to find anything, I also had a look at
> http://www.usr-emea.com/support/s-prod-template.asp?loc=emea∏=5668b
> which is the direct link to the modem in specific but I cant seem to find
> anything in regard to their modems being compatiable
> under linux ?
>
> Has anyone installed one of these before, and if so would they be willing to
> give me some pointers ? Or maybe show me where I could
> look for a driver ?
>
> Kind regards

As others have mentioned, this is a standard serial modem, so you should
be able to plug it in to COM1 or COM2 and link /dev/modem to /dev/ttyS0
or /dev/ttyS1 respectively with the following command;
ln -s /dev/ttyS0 /dev/modem

This isn't strictly necessary, but many dialling programs look at
/dev/modem by default.

As a further note, that I know from personal experience dealing with my
parents modem of this type, with the default ATZ init string, it
connects at only 33.6k. To activate the X2/V.90 protocols, you also need
a second init string. From /memory/ this is ATF1, or maybe AT&F1.

Regards
Edward