Exim4 synchronization error over ssh tunnel

Hi all,

I'm using a ssh tunnel between my local smtp server and the one running on
my mail server to receive my mail. This setup has worked relly well for me
in the past months and has the advantage that I do not have to
periodically check for new mail, but get it delivered directly to me.

I have been running exim4 on the server and the old exim 3 on my local
machine, without any problems. Today I upgraded the local machine to
exim4. Now I get synchronization errors on every incoming smtp connection
from my server. Although exim says the message has been rejected because
of a synchronization error, but receives the message without an error just
after the error, probably in another connection attempt. Exim's mainlog
shows the following:

2004-02-07 22:26:09 SMTP protocol violation: synchronization error (input sent without waiting for greeting): rejected connection from H=localhost [127.0.0.1]
2004-02-07 22:26:10 1ApZxq-0001PY-GW <= pweis@arthur.pweis.com H=localhost (arthur.pweis.com) [127.0.0.1] P=esmtp X=TLS-1.0:RSA_ARCFOUR_SHA:16 S=1134 id=20040207212607.GD30748@zaphod.pweis.com
2004-02-07 22:26:10 1ApZxq-0001PY-GW => pweis <pweis@zaphod> R=procmail T=procmail_pipe
2004-02-07 22:26:10 1ApZxq-0001PY-GW Completed

My servers transport configuration used for streaming over the ssh tunnel:

stream_smtp:
  driver = smtp
  interface = 127.0.0.1
  allow_localhost = true
  port = my-smtp
  tls_certificate = /etc/exim4/certs/arthur-exim.crt
  tls_privatekey = /mnt/crypto/arthur-exim.key
  tls_verify_certificates = /etc/exim4/certs/CA.pem
  hosts_require_tls = *

The ssh tunnel basically connects arthur:my-smtp to my local machine's
(zaphod) port 25.

If I add 'smtp_enforce_sync = false' to my configuration, exim does not
complain any longer. So I suspect that either the synchronization check is
somewhat broken or something is going wrong over the tunnel. Any ideas?

Regards,

Philipp

--
Philipp Weis          pweis@pweis.com