Re: compiling a driver

> What can I do to compile this driver correctly?

First, replace the rescue kernel with the full 2.4.18 package.

# apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18

Second, use the config file that is installed with the kernel package.

# cp /boot/config-2.4.18 /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18/.config
# cd /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18
# make oldconfig

Third, try again. (You won't be running a kernel with the bf2.4 suffix.)

Mark M wrote:

gday!

I'm trying to compile a newer osst driver to test my onstream tapestreamer (I know I should buy a real tape streamet, but hey those things cost serious money!)

Everthing went fine, downloaded the 2.4.18 kernel source, make dep-ed the kernel using my current config 2.4.18bf2.4 (some of you are feeling my problem coming up now) and cleanly compiled the newer osst driver.

But when I tried to load the driver it bums out with something like: this driver was compiled for kernel version 2.4.18, but this is 2.4.18bf2.4...
I can get crazy about stuff like this...

What can I do to compile this driver correctly?

Mark M
P.s.
Two months ago, i did not even know what a top-level directory was, so be gentle?