Re: Can't play *.wav files in XMMS.

Adam wrote:

I have xmms 1.2.8-2, which shows the plugin "Wave Player 1.2.8
[libwav.so]" as installed and enabled.  But it will not play or even
open *.wav files.  Any suggestions?

ERROR: Wav file is unsupported type (must be standard PCM
or type 3 floating point PCM
ERROR: Input file "start.wav" is not a supported format

even though man oggenc says "oggenc  reads  audio  data  in either raw,
WAV, or AIFF format and encodes it into an Ogg Vorbis stream."

What am I missing or doing wrong?
Wav-files are only container files that can contain uncompressed ("standard PCM" or something like this) or compressed sounds. Playing a wav-file only works if you have the (de-)compressor available. As far as I know xmms can only play uncompressed wav-files (but I'm not sure about this).

Maybe mplayer has the needed decompressor for your wav-file. Try to install mplayer if you don't have already and use it to create an uncompressed wav-file. AFAIR mplayer is able to create uncompressed wav-files (try man mplayer).

Regards,
Daniel