Re: gnome without evolution?

On 2004-02-05, Alex Malinovich penned:
> On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 02:29:25PM -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
>> I installed the gnome package on my machine.  This sucked in a bunch
>> of packages, including evolution.
>>
>> I like evolution, but I have zero use for it on this machine, and
>> it's huge.  Unfortunately, if I try to remove it, aptitude whines and
>> cries and "fixes" things in the name of gnome.
>>
>> I guess gnome requires one of two email clients, evolution or balsa,
>> to be installed.  I guess this is to force a fully usable desktop
>> environment.
>>
>> So, assuming this dependence isn't a bug, and so isn't going to
>> change any time soon ...
>>
>> What are the drawbacks of just uninstalling the gnome package and
>> keeping the packages on which it depends (except for evolution and
>> certain others)?
>
> Are you sure that you're not using one of the gnome metapackages. I
> don't believe any of the 'real' Gnome packages depend on Evolution.
> But I know there's a gnome-desktop package which is a metapackage
> supplying everything (and I do mean EVERYTHING) that you'll ever (and
> I do mean EVER, get the picture :) need. If this is what's causing the
> depndency, then feel free to remove it. All of the other packages will
> stay installed. Once it's gone, then get rid of Evolution and you're
> all set.

Based on the gnome package description below, the "extra components"
part anyway, it looks like I don't need it.  But calling it "gnome" is
then pretty misleading.  Maybe "gnome-extras" or something.

Here's a screen from aptitude:

i   --\ gnome                                                           46        46
  --\ Depends
    --- gnome-desktop-environment (= 46)
    --- gnome-office (= 46)
    --- evolution | balsa
    --- bluefish
    --- netspeed
    --- rhythmbox
    --- synaptic | gnome-apt
    --- xscreensaver

Here's what dpkg -p says:

luigi:~# dpkg -p gnome
Package: gnome
 This the GNOME Desktop environment, a graphical interface to use on your
 Debian system. It includes a wide range of applications, including programs
 for email, messaging, word processing, financial accounting and more.

--
monique