Re: nyt article: computer litteracy

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

Hi world!

Interesting article on growing distance between the computer-savvy and the illiterates with fancy systems:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/05/technology/05VIRU.html

register:register

Whereas there's some truth in the issue of illiterates running computers ("my cupholder broke!"), the article doesn't even mention that the vast majority of modern support issues are not user-related so much as faulty technology on the majority of computers in use.

If you have a red button on the wall that says "Don't Touch - Bad Things Will Happen", the button is going to get touched by every third Joe that comes along. That's human nature. That's MS-Windows with its virus-prone architecture.

If you have a red button on the wall that says "Don't Touch - Bad Things Will Happen", and then have a locked case over the button that can only be opened by "authorized" personnel, you're going to have much fewer people touching the button, and those that do are likely to know what they're doing. This is Mac OS/X and Unix and Linux (and perhaps other OSes) (assuming the OSes are decently configured).

I don't blame my clients/customers/users nearly so much for the support load as I blame the pointy-haired bosses that insist on putting Windows on the desktops even though his support staff is saying it's time for a paradigm shift, nor nearly as much as I blame Microsoft for their design decisions (and "aggressive marketing" *cough*) that has gotten us where we are today.

Yes, some blame on illiterate users; much more blame on faulty technology.

--
Kent