Re: folder modification times

On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 20:49, Matt Price wrote:
> I've noticed recently that some of my Maildir folders
> don't have the right date attached to them. So for instance, one
> folder has recently been updated, but ls thinks it hasn't been
> modified since dec. 29:
> [matt@anarres<501>/home/matt]$ ls -ld Maildir/.moin
> drwx------    5 matt     matt         4.0K 2003-12-29 16:16 Maildir/.moin/
>
> On theo ther hand, Maildir itself knows it's been updated recently:
> [matt@anarres<502>/home/matt]$ ls -ld Maildir/
> drwx------  125 matt     matt         4.0K 2004-02-04 20:30 Maildir//
>
> What I'd like to know is, why would the modification date be changed
> in one case and not the other?  And what can I do to fix this?

does Maildir/.moin have any subdirectories? If you make a change in a
subdirectory, that change does not change the modification time of its
parent directory, but does change the modification time of the current
directory.

might you have modified a child of Maildir/, but modified a grandchild
of Maildir/.moin (ie. Maildir/testfile & Maildir/.moin/foo/testfile)?

-davidc