motion: when exactly does it make an mpeg?

As I understand it from reading the docs on motion, it should create
an mpeg movie of the motion it has captured. However, it seems most
reluctant to do this.

I have a remote webcam set up monitoring the activities of a pigeon.
I've configured it to email me when it detects motion, which it does
quite frequently. I've also configured it to execute a script when it
creates a movie, to email me the movie. But I very rarely get a movie
- I've had three, and looking on the remote machine I see that three
is all that have been created. So I know the script works, but the
making of movies doesn't appear to.

The activity which motion should be recording occurs as fairly short
bursts, of a few seconds or so, as the pigeon flies across the
webcam's field of view. It detects this OK, but won't make a movie of
it.

I've tried it both with the woody version of motion, and the sid
version compiled on woody. They both behave the same. The webcam is
fairly slow, and manages about 5fps tops when I view it locally with
xawtv. I am passing the -B option to motion, and the settings in
~/.motion/motion.conf are:

auto_brightness yes
threshold 1000
post_capture 3
lightswitch yes
gap 10
daemon yes
mail (the email address I'm using for the purpose)
onmpeg /home/pigeon/bin/picname2
snapshots 14400
target_dir /home/pigeon/upgrades2/motion
quality 50
mpeg_encode yes
jpg_cleanup yes
max_mpeg_time 120

Anyone know why it's not making a movie every time it detects motion?

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons