Continuous reboot after install (unstable 1/30/04)

First, congrats with the work on the new installer.
It's a major improvement.  Specifically, this one
detected and works with my network card.  I spent
about 10 hours with the Woody installer setting io and
irqs and never got that far.

Using the Jan 30 unstable installation (113mb
netinstall cd), the basic install seemed to work up
through the reboot.

Then, when it reboots and starts asking for root
password, user accounts, etc. (debconf is it?) the
machine will run for maybe 1 minute and reboot.  It
doesn't matter if I step through the utility and get
as far as I can (one time I got to where it was
actually in the middle of an apt-get) or if I just let
it sit there or if I boot into recovery mode.  After a
fixed amount of time the machine reboots no matter
what you do.  Needless to say, I can't collect much
information from it.  I did look at dmesg and didn't
see any smoking gun.

The reason I tried unstable is because the 'testing'
version would get to "installing base system" and
seemed to complete but then said "base installation
failed" with nothing in the error logs except
"/usr/bin/awk already exists" or something like that.

Back to the unstable experience, the things I noticed
during the installation that seemed strange to me:

- It never prompted me for a kernel.  It just picked
one.  Therefore I can't try picking a different one.
It installed the kernel during the "install base
system" step.  Or have these been combined now?

- It never prompted me for Ethernet setup.  The way
I'm installing it is over Ethernet card which is
hooked up through a crossover cable to a Windows
machine with connection sharing, then the Windows has
a modem that it uses to connect to dialup.  The
connection seems to work fine (The Linux box can
contact and download stuff).  But it never prompted me
for ip address,etc (you have to set it to static
192.168.0.2).  Yet I DID have to set this up during a
it's still reading some old config information from a
re-partition the hard drive, which I *thought* would
remove all old data...

Since then I've tried turning off the "pnp OS" and
"ps/2 mouse support" setting in the BIOS to no effect.
 I'm just shooting in the dark now.

So is this a kernel panic or what?  Any suggestions on
what to do?  Suggestions welcome.  Thanks.

- Matt

Computer hardware setup:

Emachines 533id

Celeron 533

192 MB memory

Brand-new 120G WD Hard drive with several failed
Debian instation attempt having previously occurred.

Samsung DVD/CD player (came with it)

HP CD-Writer plus (added)

Floppy drive (came with)

Linksys Network Everywhere NC100 NIC (added) uses
tulip driver I think (added)

Creative Modem Blaster 56K modem (added, replaced the
Conexant that came with it).  Uses Rockwell HCF 56k
chipset deviceid=1005

Intel 82810 Graphics (included on-board)

Cirrus Logic CS4614/22/24 SoundFusion audio (included
on-board)

USB (included on-board)

Microsoft cordless mouse (added)