Re: unchecked 31 times

On Sat, 2004-01-31 at 21:30, Will Trillich wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 03:56:25PM -0500, Paul Morgan wrote:
> > My understanding is that lilo works off a system
> > map which is created at installation and is sector based.  So, as long as
> > it can figure out where the kernel is physically placed at installation,
> > it can map it. Then, when loading the kernel, it doesn't have to care
> > about the filesystem.  So the boot loader can be tiny.
> >
> > Grub is different.  It has to grok the filesystem at boot time, so the
> > boot loader is huge as a result.
> >
> > Oh, and lilo can boot off a RAID device.
>
> eh? is it possible to get woody to boot (after installing, and
> no luck there, yet) off of a raid? that would be awesome.
>
> i've got a 3ware setup, and 3w-xxxx.o is what's needed, which
> works fine under morphix, but i've not been able to preload the
> module under the woody install. (floppy 'driver' images won't
> mount, and i've tried about three different download sites to
> get them...)

I installed woody on my IBM ServeRAID card, though I had to make a
custom boot disk which provided a kernel supporting my RAID card. Most
likely, you are unable to install because the install kernel you are
using doesnt support your 3ware card. I would suggest that you make sure
that you are using the bf24 kernel to install (F3 at CD boot prompt),
because I thought I remembered that kernel having support for 3ware
compiled in..., but if not, you may need to make yourself a custom boot
disk (see
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch-boot-floppy-techinfo.en.html#s-rescue-replace-kernel)

-davidc