>    Pin: release a=testing
>    Pin-Priority: 1001
>
>    Package: *
>    Pin: release a=unstable
>    Pin-Priority: 400
>
>    Package: *
>    Pin: release a=stable
>    Pin-Priority: 300

On further reflection I realised that those numbers will only do
what I want (procession from unstable/third-party to testing
version) for packages that don't exist in testing to start with.
The KDE (3.1) packages do, of course, so P = 1001 for testing will
block the installation of any 3.2 version from outside testing.

Sigh.  Is there any other magic combination of numbers and
target-release setting that _will_ do what I want?  I'd be willing
to do without the "slight-downgrade on switching from unstable to
testing version" effect, and could even forgo stable if need be
(though the presence of stable doesn't seem to be the main
problem).

Stefan

--
Stefan Baums