2.4.24+ kernels do not recognize my ide hard drives.

I've come across a strange problem.  I upgraded from 2.4.21 to 2.4.24
and now my ide hard drives are not recognized.

It gives me an error that /dev/hda and /dev/hdc are not valid block
devices.

I tried the 2.6.0 kernel and it does the same thing on boot when it
tries to fsck.  But, with this kernel, it comes up with the two lines
that usually appear before the fsck on the 2.4.21 kernel.  I can't
remember the lines but it seems to be recognition of the two hard
drives.  So, these two lines appear AFTER the fsck.  If I hit cntrl-d
the system mounts the drives and boots normally.

With the 2.4.24 kernel the two hd recognition lines do not come up at
all and the system refuses to mount the ide hard drives even after
booted up.

I am using a SuperMicro P6DBU MB with two PIII 700's.  There is an
onboard SCSI controller that I have two SCSI drives on that run the
system.  So it's not causing me to have an unusable system.  I use the
two IDE drives for storage.

I'm running Sarge, updated to current.

To sum it up:

2.4.21 boots fine.
2.4.24 refuses to recognize the ide drives.
2.6.0  does not recognize the ide drives until after the fsck.

Anyone know what may be the problem.

--
Underwear should be worn on the inside.

--
  B. L. Jilek            |  GPG keys on my website -->  |  Linux user: 163800
  bljilek@topazcrow.com  |   http://www.topazcrow.com   |  ICQ: 83785391