Re: Please help with permissions problem

On Sat, 2004-01-31 at 11:02, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> Here are some of my permissions:
>
> scott@debian:~$ ls -la .ICEauthority
> -rw-------    1 root     root         1102 Jan 31 06:19 .ICEauthority
> scott@debian:~$

This would certainly be a good explanation why a program that runs with
your permissions would be unable to read this file. Only root has
permissions to read or write to this file.

> scott@debian:~$ ls -l /usr/bin/mozilla-1.0.0
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         5872 Jun 23  2002
> /usr/bin/mozilla-1.0.0
> scott@debian:~$

In this case, ownership of the executable file doesnt really matter as
much as whether you have permission to execute it or not. Once you
execute it, the program is being run on your behalf, and as such, is
only allowed to access files/directories that you yourself have
permission to access.

> scott@debian:~$ ls -ld ~/
> drwxr-xr-x    9 scott    scott        4096 Jan 31 06:19 /home/scott/
> scott@debian:~$
>

> I tried changing ownership on my .ICE directory above to scott, but when
> KDE said it couldn't write to it, I sudo'd its startup again.
>
> This is all from a stock install of Debian off Woody floppies.  I have
> done nothing special other than to add my scott account as sudo via:
>
> under root: visudo
>
> and my /etc/sudoers list is:
>
> scott@debian:~$ cat /etc/sudoers
> # sudoers file.
> #
> # This file MUST be edited with the 'visudo' command as root.
> #
> # See the man page for details on how to write a sudoers file.
> #
>
> # Host alias specification
>
> # User alias specification
>
> # Cmnd alias specification
>
> # User privilege specification
> root    ALL=(ALL) ALL
> scott   ALL=(ALL) ALL
> scott@debian:~$
>

> Scott

Sudo is a method by which you get to do certain things as root, not as
the user sudoing, so I'm guessing that by running KDE with root
permissions, your ~/.ICEauthority file is getting chowned to root. Thus,
when you run a KDE program as non-root (requiring access to the
~/.ICEauthority file), it cannot read  ~/.ICEauthority which is read &
writable only by root.

I suggest that you chown the file back to yourself and henceforth use
KDM or something to login to X. KDM (and its relatives XDM, GDM) allow
you to start KDE/GNOME/whatever as yourself rather than as root. I think
that would clear up your problem.

-davidc

check out:
http://dbforums.com/arch/126/2003/5/790706