new kernel, alsa -> sound trouble

I just built and installed a new kernel (2.4.24) with new alsa modules
(1.0.1-1).  When I start KDE (3.1) I hear music, but after 15 seconds I
get a popup from arts: "Soundserver fatal error: cpu overload,
aborting".

When the kernel booted I noticed a message about failing to restore alsa
settings.  It's not in the logs, so I can't get the exact text.  I
suspected this might be from a version mismatch between different parts
of the alsa system, and noticed:
ii  alsa-base                1.0.1-1
ii  alsa-modules-2.4.20      0.9.3a-1+iron.03
ii  alsa-modules-2.4.22advnc 0.9.6-5+rb.3
ii  alsa-modules-2.4.24advnc 1.0.1-1+rb.6
ii  alsa-source              1.0.1-1
ii  alsa-utils               0.9.8-1

I upgraded alsa-utils from unstable to 1.0.1-1 and restarted the
soundserver in KDE.  Again, I heard music, and then got the error.

Googling didn't turn up anything too recent with this error, and the
past messages indicated the problem was with the driver (mine is
emu10k1).  Things were working before the upgrade.

I also half recall some recent discussion on debian-kde that KDE built
for Debian (which I am using) didn't support alsa.  I assumed this meant
it used OSS emulation, but perhaps that's related.

So there are many possible culprits, and I'm not sure how to diagnose
this further or fix it.  Any suggestions?