RE: /etc/init.d/ - add/remove services

I don't know if there is a preferred way.  There are many ways and choose
the one you like.  The convention I use is to rename the file/link with a
"no" in front.
e.g.

mv /etc/rc3.d/K96pcmcia /etc/rc3.d/noK96pcmcia
mv /etc/rc3.d/S50snmpd /etc/rc3.d/noS50snmpd

That way if I ever want to put it back, I know where the original file was .

The advantage it would have over the "exit" method above is that by doing an
"ls" on the /etc/rc*d directories you can see what services are
started/killed clearly and also what services used to be started/killed by
the "no" in the filename whereas with the "exit" you'd have to look in the
file itself to find that the service was being killed.  Also, you have finer
control over the runlevels.  Putting an "exit" in the script will kill the
service for all runlevels.  Whereas renaming a link will kill for an
individual runlevel.  THe disadvantage is if you do want to disable the
service altogether, you wlil have to possibly rename up to 6 scripts where
as in the "exit" method you just have to edit one script.

Just another alternative.