Re: different hard drive size showing

On Thursday 29 January 2004 12:57 am, SEAN KIM wrote:
> Someone asked me a really challenging question regarding a hard drive
> size. Why there are 2 different sizes showing on a same hard drive when
> someone looks for its hard drive size through its BIOS and through its
> Window Operating System?

(Odd question to be asking on a Debian list)

I can think of a few possibilities:

1) Unformatted vs formatted size
2) k=1000 vs k=1024 (and M=1000^2 vs M=1024^2)
3) Often when a disk is partitioned a bit of unused space is left before
and after the partitioned space. The BIOS can count it, but the OS (which
really sees the partition(s), not the drive itself) cannot.

What kind of discrepancy are you seeing?

Adam