Peter Norton explains it very well below.

Thanks again,

- Danny O'Brien

On Jan 23, 2004, at 12:00 PM, nylug-talk-request@nylug.org wrote:

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 07:25:28 -0800
From: "Peter C. Norton" <spacey-nylug@lenin.nu>
Subject: Re: [nylug-talk] VA 2200/Debian installation challenges
To: nylug-talk@nylug.org

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 07:13:25AM -0800, Dale Harris wrote:
No. Should work. Just might want to make sure the kernel had the e100
driver configured.  Actually eepro100 should work, too, but I believe
the e100 has had less problems.

Agreed - intel did a good job with the e100 driver.  But I'm not sure
its in woody by default.  From a system I've got that started out as
woody, its the 2.2.20 kernel by default, and the 2.4 kernel as an
option.  Its not 100% that the e100 driver will be in the 2.4 and its
definetely not in the 2.2.x kernels.

So to follow on to what Dale is saying since its debian, one way to
specify your driver if its not done automagically for you is to do the
following:

echo "alias eth0 eepro100" >> /etc/modutils/local
update-modules

This tells the module loader that when something is looking for "eth0"
that its really looking for the eepro100 driver.

-Peter

--
The 5 year plan:
In five years we'll make up another plan.