Re: Installing an SMP kernel

Hello

Robert Cates (<robert@kormar.de>) wrote:

> I would like to install Debian 3.0 (Stable) on my dual CPU Pentium 3
> system, with an SMP kernel of course.  My understanding is I would
> have to first install using a non-SMP kernel, and then compile a new
> kernel with SMP support.  Could I not just do it this way - after
> installation do a 'apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-686-smp' ?

I don't think there is an SMP installation Kernel, but there are
precompiled packages that you can install using atp-get once the
installation is finished.

> Actually, I've tried compiling a new kernel and install using 'apt-get
> install kernel-image-2.4.18-...' on another machine, with no success.
> When I try to go the easier (?) route with apt-get, I always end up
> with a kernel panic at reboot.

Cannot access root device? Cannot mount root file system? Did you forget
to tell your boot loader to use the initial ram disk (initrd) that the
2.4.18 Kernel packages (except the installation Kernel) need?

Oh, and get the kernel-image-2.4.18-1 packages from security.debian.org.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--
Andreas Janssen