kernel 2.6.1 won't boot properly

Hey,

Yesterday, I learned that Nvidia released drivers for the 2.6 series, so
I thought I'd finally give it a shot. Preparing all things necessary,
including the kernel itself, went quite well.

However, when I rebooted and chose the fresh kernel, I got a frozen and
distorted screen (lots of colored vertical stripes) right after the
first few message lines ("ok, uncompressing the kernel"), so at the
moment the console should be entering, ehm, a higher state of graphical
display. The Tux logo in the upper left corner displayed just fine, but
the screen was frozen with chaotic noise.

I was quite disappointed to leave the boot logo (which I previously had
selected during kernel configuration) for what I was, hoping that that
would solve the problem. The second reboot, however, just ended in the
same result. This time, the frozen VGA display showed the initial Debian
bitmap for lilo (as distorted as the first time).

So I thought I'd disable that one too, for starters, and try with a
plain lilo boot menu. Still, the same thing when I boot up. I'm not sure
why it acts like that. I hope someone here could give me a clue. Perhaps
somebody has experienced the same kind of trouble?

I'm not sure what details I should provide. I have a GeForce4 MX. In
lilo.conf, vga is set to normal. Some lines in my kernel .config that I
guess might be relevant:

CONFIG_INPUT=y
CONFIG_VT=y
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_HW_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_FB_VGA16=y
CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
CONFIG_FB_RIVA=y
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_LOGO is not set

Thanks a lot in advance for any tips, hints or clues.

Tom

--
"Mongolian drivers do not care much about pedestrians."