Re: can't shut down

On Mon, 2003-01-27 at 08:25, Douglas Pollard wrote:
> I'm a newby to debian linux and feeling pretty dumb. I have managed to partition my hard drive and install Debian but I can't figure out how to get into root in order to shut down my machine. If I am in Gnome how do I close Debian-linux down. If someone would walk me through from Gnome
> I would be thankful. At the present time I am shuting down with th off button on the front of my machine.
>                                                 Doug

The way I usually do it is:

1. log out of gnome (there should be an item in the gnome menu to "log
out") so that you are returned to the place where you are prompted to
log in again.

2. type: Ctrl-F1 to switch to a text console

3. log in as root, then type: halt, or: shutdown -h now

that should shut everything down for you. In my opinion, that is better
than shutting down using a virtual terminial while still logged into
gnome because that way gnome gets all the time it needs to save
states/sessions, whatever, and shutdown properly.

-davidc